SRMS PHYSICAL EDUCATION POLICIES & PROCEDURES
STEMMERS RUN MIDDLE SCHOOL PE UNIFORM PRICES:
SMALL, MEDIUM, LARGE, X-LARGE
SHORTS = $9.00
SHIRTS = $11.00
($1.00 MORE PER “X”)
We accept cash or checks.
Please make sure checks are payable to SRMS and include your child’s name on the check.
PHYSICAL EDUCATION PRESENTS A VARIED AND FLEXIBLE PROGRAM IN WHICH BOYS AND GIRLS ACQUIRE PHYSICAL FITNESS, PHYSICAL SKILLS AND SOCIALLY DESIRABLE HABITS OF GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP, TEAMWORK AND CHARACTER AS WELL AS AN INTEREST IN WHOLESOME RECREATION.
• It is the policy of Baltimore County that EVERY STUDENT IS REQUIRED TO WEAR A PE UNIFORM FOR EVERY PE CLASS and participate in the Physical Education program. Students must dress appropriately to participate safely.
• THE REQUIRED PE UNIFORM CONSISTS OF THE FOLLOWING:
1. SRMS PE SHIRT
2. SRMS PE SHORTS
3. SECURELY TIED TENNIS SHOES. Shoes must be tied on top of the tongue of the shoes so teachers can visually affirm the student is safely prepared for active movement.
• Shirt and short sizes should fit appropriately for the size of the student and for safety.
• NO CLOTHES MAY BE WORN UNDER THE PE UNIFORM.
• Shorts must be worn on the student’s waist, and may NOT be rolled at the waist, OR pulled down below your waist!
• Label SHIRTS with both the complete first and last name of the student – space permitting.
• Label SHORTS with the initial of your first name and your FULL last name.
• Loose hair must be tied up and out of the face.
• ALL JEWELRY MUST BE REMOVED AND LOCKED IN LOCKERS BEFORE LEAVING THE LOCKER ROOM.
• ONLY stud earrings are allowed to be worn.
• ALL piercings must be removed according to Baltimore County Public Schools Safety Regulations.
• Sweatshirts and sweatpants may be worn OVER the PE uniform during cold weather while participating OUTSIDE. SWEATSHIRTS AND SWEATPANTS MAY NOT BE WORN DURING INSIDE ACTIVITIES.
• If there is a financial concern for purchasing the uniform, please ask your parent/guardian to send a note to your PE teacher stating the expected date you will submit your payment. It is our goal to have every student prepared and in activity by the second week of school.
• Unless directed by a PE teacher for class use, cell phones must be locked up in your PE locker.
• PE uniforms will be sold at the beginning of each PE class for the first 2 weeks of school. Following the Labor Day break, PE uniforms will be sold each morning before homeroom in the gym lobby.
• Each student will have a COMBINATION LOCK built into their PE locker.
• EACH STUDENT WILL BE ASSIGNED THEIR OWN LOCKER and combinations will be recorded in a master book in the PE offices.
• SHARING LOCKERS IS NOT ALLOWED AT ANYTIME OR FOR ANY REASON.
• DO NOT GIVE YOUR COMBINATION TO OTHER STUDENTS.
• Your PE locker is to be used for storage of Physical Education supplies only.
• CHECK TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR LOCKER IS SECURELY LOCKED BEFORE LEAVING THE LOCKER ROOM.
• THE PE DEPARTMENT IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR LOST OR STOLEN ITEMS.
LOCKER ROOM PROCEDURES
• ALL students must report to the gym for attendance before going into the locker room every class.
• After attendance is taken in the gym –
ANDERSON and CLARDY’s classes will enter the locker rooms through the back doors.
MOLOFSKY and STICHEL’s classes will enter the locker rooms through the front doors.
• Lateness – we will be following the school wide LATENESS POLICY.
• Students are expected to stay in rows until dismissed by a PE teacher.
• DO NOT dress in the bathroom stalls – girls, use the dressing rooms if you need more privacy.
• EACH STUDENT WILL BE ASSIGNED THEIR OWN LOCKER. SHARING LOCKERS IS NOT ALLOWED AT ANYTIME OR FOR ANY REASON.
• WATER ONLY! No food or drinks are allowed in the locker rooms. It draws mice!!
• NO SPRAY ITEMS are allowed in the locker room as many students are HIGHLY ASTHMATIC. This includes perfumes, body spray or any other pump/continuous spray item.
• NO HORSEPLAY, SUCH AS PUSHING, SHOVING, CHASING, SLAPPING OR WRESTLING WILL BE TOLERATED AT ANYTIME AND WILL RESULT IN A CONSEQUENCES.
• Leaving the locker room prior to the dismissal bell is considered a CLASS CUT and will result in a consequence.
• ALL students must exit the locker room through the front doors ONLY.
LENDER POLICY –
• Any students coming to PE class without a uniform or appropriate shoes are REQUIRED to borrow a clean PE lender uniform/shoes for that day.
• Once you arrive to the locker rooms after attendance, if you are not prepared for PE, report to the locker room office IMMEDIATELY and sign the LENDER LOG and get a lender uniform.
• Students are NOT permitted to go to their hall lockers at the beginning or end of their PE class. This is a school rule!
INTERSCHOLASTIC ACTIVITIES –
BCPS offers 6 interscholastic activities for middle school students – BADMINTON, CROSS COUNTRY, BASKETBALL, TENNIS, ALLIED SOFTBALL & TRACK AND FIELD. We will notify you as more information becomes available.
Intramurals will be offered throughout the year for students in all grades.
Activities will be announced in PE classes and on the morning and afternoon announcements.
Intramurals are a privilege. Parent permission slips must be on file at school if you are to participate.
• Your PE lessons will be based on the NATIONAL STANDARDS for K-12 PHYSICAL EDUCATION to teach you how to become a physically literate individual. Being physically literate means that you know how to be physically active and because you know how to be physically active, you enjoy making physical activity a part of your life. Learning the skills now to become physically literate will help you continue to lead a healthy and physically active lifestyle as an adult.
• Beginning this year you will be graded on whether or not you can meet the National Standards for PE. You PE grade will be divided up into the following categories:
• Students will be allowed to participate in activity only if they are dressed in their complete PE uniform. Alternative written or lesson assignments will be given so those students can work to meet the National Standards of PE that we will be working on during that class. This does NOT replace movement activity therefore chronic unpreparedness will be addressed through parent/guardian contact.
If you have a temporary disability or you are not feeling well you must present a written note from your parent/guardian to your Physical Education teacher in order to be excused from physical activity that day. (NOTE: Any excuse over 3 days requires a doctor’s note.)
You will still DRESS in your PE uniform and observe class.
If you become physically unable to participate for more that 7 consecutive calendar days, a doctor’s note is required. Doctor notes will be kept on file in the nurse’s office.
ALL MEDICAL EXCUSES EXCLUDE THE STUDENT FROM PATICIPATION IN INTRAMURALS OR ANY OTHER PHYSICAL ACTIVITY DURING THE SCHOOL DAY.
REFUSAL TO DRESS FOR PE –
EVERY STUDENT IS REQUIRED TO DRESS FOR PE. If you chose to refuse to dress for PE, there will be the following consequences:
• You will be given an alternate written assignment to complete during class. You must provide your own paper and writing utensil. If the assignment is not turned in you will be issued an INCOMPLETE. A PE teacher will call home and document your behavior in STARS.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact any PE teacher at 410 887 0177 or by the following EMAIL addresses:
Staci Anderson – email@example.com
Glenn Clardy – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rise Molofsky – email@example.com
Rich Stichel – firstname.lastname@example.org
2016-2017 P.E. UNITS